On the way to school.
With Teacher Britny
In fact, this was not the first time Eric attended school. We tried him once (only one day) in past summer. But he was very upset, crying most of time. We didn't know we have to prepare him for the school. After talking to experienced friends, we signed him up some short classes and visit the school and class sevreal times to get familiar with the concepts of teacher, students, class, routine. We also brainwashed him with the ideas that "mommy cannot be in the class with him, otherwise other kids would not have space", and "it's ok that if you don't understand what teachers say".
Now, after months of preparation, we gave it another try. I like his teachers Britney and Lisa a lot. They are very friendly and caring.
The first day, Eric was scared, he didn't want to go, and he wanted me in the class. I assured him that he was very brave and he could attend the class himself, and kids & teachers like hime very much. I also packed his comforting objects - handkerchief and little whale in his backpack. He was crying when I dropped him off. Teachers told me that he was upset for about 1 hour at the begining. He didn't want teachers to take him to the toilet, so he pee in the pant. he got upset then. But he was totally into singing songs. I picked him up at around noon. Teacher said he ate a lot at school, and kept saying yummy yummy. He was very happy to see me and couldn't wait to go home. I asked him: "do you have fun today?" He said: "Yes". It's a good start!
The first week: He would told me that he didn't want to go to school first thing he woke up. I would reassure him that he was very brave, the school was fun, kids liked to play with him. He would cry about 40 -50minutes at the begining. He didn't like to leave the room because he's afriad I couldn't find him. He would wait for me at noon to take him to potty before going home. But he did like school activities, and enjoyed playing with other kids.
The second week: He was off the first two days because of flu. He still attended the school half day. I told him if he got scared, he should go find a toy to play. It worked. He only cried for about 5 minute when I dropped him off now. He would let the teacher to take him to potty now. Big progress.
The third week: He started the full-day schedule - including napping at school. At frist few days, he didnot sleep in his cot, he would sit sleeping in the sofa for very short time (10-20min). From 3rd day on, he would sleep in the cot for 30-40 min. I could see he was getting more comfortable each day.
The four week: Eric did not cry at all when we dropped him off. Amazingly, Eric started to tell me that "let's go to school tomorrow", when he went to be the day before. We were so happy for him! He overcome his fear and really enjoys the school now.
Great job Eric!
No comments:
Post a Comment